Core knowledge and focus areas
Research and teaching in Polymer Technology is focused on synthesis and characterization of polymers and development of new materials utilizing polymerization techniques and composite technology.
Research in Polymer Technology is based on sound knowledge of chemistry, chemical engineering and material science. Particular fields of interest are polymerization reaction engineering and chemical modification of polymers.
Research is focused on the following topics:
- Novel polymerization reactions and catalysis
- Polymerization reactors and process design
- Polymer materials properties and structure property correlations
- Compatibilization in polymer blends and composites
- Utilization of rapid prototyping methods in preparation of biomaterials
- Nanocomposites including conductive materials
- Chemical modification of renewable raw materials such nanocellulose
- Synthesis and modification of biodegradable polymers
Focus areas regarding polymers:
- Biopolymers and Bioactive Polymer composites
- Polymer based nanocomposites and their compatibilization
- Amphiphilic Block Polymers
- Polymers for Additive Manufacturing
Bioeconomy infra and ERIFORE
Professor Jukka Seppälä is head of a national joint Aalto University and VTT Bioeconomy Infrastructure. Aalto and VTT are also participating in the EU funded ERIFORE (European Research Infrastructure for Circular Forest Bioeconomy) project.